24/01/2023

Hasty Judgement

 Children come out with the strangest and funniest things sometimes, don't they?
Recently, I was at a park and was keeping an eye on Lydia. A ten-year-old girl was watching her.
"Does she have a disability?" she asked.
"Yes, she has Down Syndrome," I answered.
She sweetly replied, "Oh, I used to have that too!"
A few days later, my daughter came up to me and asked if her auntie's two dogs were her cousins!
Last night, one of my children accidentally dropped a glass when they were drying the dishes. It smashed into a million pieces. I swept it up and put it in some newspaper. I found some cello tape to wrap the glass in the newspaper. I was doing this on the island in our kitchen.
My daughter, Esther, walked in, saw the smashed glass and tape and said, "Oh, you're taping the glass back together!" I laughed at the thought of trying to tape a smashed glass back together. But I realized there is something that we can learn from this.
Sometimes we look at a situation and make a hasty and wrong judgement on what someone else is doing or thinking. Sometimes our judgements are completely different from what is actually happening.
I remember one time during the first lockdown. Since my husband, Johan, was home, he would usually help us all clean up after breakfast. But one morning he was lying on our bed, looking at his phone, instead of helping. I made a hasty judgement and felt annoyed at him. What I didn't know was that he was on his phone ordering me some yeast online, which you couldn't find in the supermarkets. I didn't know he was doing something for me!
It's easy to make hasty judgements about our husband, our children, our friends and so on. Sometimes we need to ask questions instead of assuming the worst. We need to make sure we have our facts straight. We need to assume the best until we know otherwise.
Charity...thinketh no evil; 1 Corinthians 13:5

No comments:

Post a Comment