04/11/2014

Time Wasting...

...or Child Training??
A few weeks ago it was Sunday morning and the clocks had gone forward an hour. So it was a bit of rush to get ready for church in time. I told my 2yr old to get her shoes. She refused. I asked her a few times but didn't want to obey. She was determined not to get her shoes. I decided to persist and deal with her until she would obey instead of just getting them myself.
But...I was frustrated. I thought, "I don't have time for this!" Straight away I was convicted. The thought came to me, "This is not time wasting. This is child training."
I've had to remind myself of this phrase many times since then. "Child training not time wasting."
Discipline is the one thing about being a Mum that I find the most difficult. .I've always been a "softie." I would rather look the other way and pretend I didn't see.
I would rather quickly do things myself than take the time and effort to teach my children how to do them.
The main reason is, I just can't be bothered. I'm lazy! It's not nice to admit, but it's the honest truth.
Another reason is, I often don't see the great value of teaching and training my children. And yet it is one of the most important jobs the Lord has given me.
I have to have time for this! I can't afford not to.
Some parenting methods may be time and patience wasting.
For example, telling your child over and over rather than just following through with a consequence. (Sometimes it's more about wisdom than having a huge amount of patience.)
But being consistent and faithful to train our children to listen and obey is a must! 
A lot of what they will be as an adult depends on how much time, training, effort and prayer we have put into them while they're still little.

Correct thy son, and he shall give thee rest; yea, he shall give delight unto thy soul. Proverbs 29:17

No comments:

Post a Comment