14/08/2018

Singing in the Rain

This morning was cold and rainy. Although I had planned to go somewhere, I decided to stay at home instead and have a rest and get a few things done--if it's possible to do both! (There have been extra appointments this month, and I have been extra tired.) But when I dropped the children off to school and Jo at preschool, I first needed to take Lydia for a blood test. There is a medlab just down the road, so I should have been home again quickly. 
But no. First, I had to wait in line. Then when it was our turn, the lady told me she can't do blood tests on little children, so I would have to come back later or go to another town. I decided I would come back later, but first I asked her if it would matter if it waited another day or so. It had already been a week since we had been to the doctor and gotten the blood test! Where does the time go? After looking on the computer, she said I needed to get it done that morning at the Masterton hospital.
I felt a little annoyed and frustrated.
 Firstly, that she couldn't do it. How useless to have someone who can't do children!
 Secondly, that I had to go to Masterton, when the doctor had told me it was fine to do it in Carterton. I should have just done it when I had seen the doctor at the hospital last week! 
Thirdly, that it was not going to be a quiet stress free morning after all!
So we drove to the hospital (15-20 mins). Thankfully, it was not busy and we didn't need to wait in line. Usually Lydia doesn't cry for blood tests anymore, but this time she got very upset. I couldn't do much since I had to try to hold her still. But another lady came in with some distraction toys. They could sing and dance and make noises which helped Lydia to relax. One of them was a duck that was dressed in a raincoat and held an umbrella. It sang a song called Singing in the Rain. It helped distract Lydia, but it convicted me! It was raining literally outside, but it was also raining frustrations. And I was not singing, I was stressed and grumbling.
Right then I decided to stop grumbling and choose to sing in the rain instead. As the Bible says, Rejoice in the LORD alway, and again, I say, Rejoice.
Whenever we are frustrated and things are not going to plan, we have a choice. Either we can get annoyed, stressed and grumble. Or we can choose to be thankful and rejoice. Grumbling only makes the situation seem worse, while rejoicing helps us to relax.
Learn to sing in the rain. We need the rain. All sunshine makes a desert!


No comments:

Post a Comment