27/09/2018

A Loss or a Gain?

But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ. Philippians 3:8
My mum sent me a devotion based on these verses during our second 21/2 month stint in hospital after Lydia's heart surgery.
It helped me understand these verses better.
At that time we were suffering the loss of home, being all together as a family, and just everything that is usually 'normal' in our life. But, through it all, we got to know God better. What gain!
I pray that I can say the same as Paul honestly "I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord:..." To be able to have the mindset that knowing and obeying God is the most important thing in the world no matter the cost. This is not naturally my mindset!
When the losses come and when we have to make sacrifices, it's not so easy.
Lydia has mostly stayed out of hospital for two years now. But she still has Down Syndrome. In a way, I have the loss of 'time.' A child with special needs is very time consuming. 
As we go through different stages and circumstances in life, there are losses that come. There are different sacrifices we have to make. And if we are serious about serving and knowing God, the losses will be many, but the gain will be GREAT! The gain of truly knowing God. The gain of the peace of God. The gain of being close to God. The gain of seeing God answer prayer. The gain of becoming more like Christ. The gain of God being so real.




No comments:

Post a Comment