08/05/2023

The Things We Can't Change

 This morning we were eating breakfast before school.

"Mum, is there any way to take away Down Syndrome?" asked one of my children.

"No," I answered.

"Would you if you could?" was her next question.

I had to stop and think about that question. Would I "remove" Lydia's Down Syndrome if I could?

My conclusion was that there are some things I would definitely like to change about Lydia's Down Syndrome if I could. There are some things that I find difficult and very patience testing. But on the other hand, there are certain aspects I would not change about Lydia. Her sweetness, friendliness and the way she brings joy wherever she goes. I also wouldn't change all I've learned through having her, my growth in knowing God and the relationships that have been built.

So, removing Lydia's Down Syndrome would also remove a lot of blessing!

I share this, because although you most likely don't have a child with Down Syndrome, you have your own hard things. The things you can't change. Maybe a health problem, the sins or choices of others that have affected you, the death of a loved one, or any other thing that challenges you. Would you change it if you could? What would you miss out on if you changed it?

I love op shopping! Getting good things for a low price--bargains! But, in life, getting God's blessings doesn't come cheap. There is a price.  Knowing God and being a blessing to others will have a cost.

Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: Philippians 3:8

or in another words...

Everything else is worthless when compared with the priceless gain of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment