30/10/2012

Dead Flowers



The other day I was watering my potplants. One of the plants was filled with dead flowers. It only had one new flower. I'm not very good at remembering to cut of all the old dead flowers! If I had cut off the dead flowers on this plant I would  probably have lots more flowers right now. I've been told you get more flowers when you do that! So after I finished watering the plants, I grabbed a pair of scissors and started cutting. And somehow I managed to snip off the new flower aswell! Never mind!
But those dead flowers reminded me of some things in life. Our lives are full of changes. Sometimes we move, people die, new lives are born, and the list goes on. In a way it's like flower plants. Flowers bloom, then they die off and new ones come. But it's easy to hold on to the old flowers and hinder the new ones from growing! Do you know what I mean?
Before I was married I lived with my family. I ran a little Sunday School, a Girl's Club and I was a leader at Girl's Brigade. I so enjoyed that work and of course, my family! When I married I had to leave that all behind to live in a new place with new people etc. It wasn't easy to let go and move on. I missed people and I missed the opportunities that I used to have.
Now I have 2 little children, so I am unable to do the kind of work that I used to do. It wasn't easy to adjust!
I have had to accept that life has stages. Right now I am in the stage of having little children, so I can't do the things I used to do. One day when they've grown up a bit, I may be able to do those things agan. But right now, I need to enjoy and make the most of the beautiful 'flowers' that I have and not forever wish I could still do what I used to do.
When we accept the stage that our life is in, then we will see the new 'flowers' coming and start enjoying them, rather than living in the past.
For some people, it's when their children have all left home. They've been busy with children for so long, and now they're gone. What do they do now with all their time?
For some it maybe it's losing a loved one.
For me it was moving to a new area.
Whatever it is, remember that beautiful new 'flowers' will grow!
Of course we can have precious memories of our past that we can hold on to. And we can still keep in contact with the people that are no longer close to us. But we should always remember to enjoy the new 'flowers' that God brings along our way. Make room for the new flowers to grow!
Philippians 3:13
"Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,..."

Ecclesiastes 3:1
"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:"
You can see of my 2 beautiful new 'flowers' up the top of this blog!! :)
.

No comments:

Post a Comment