09/11/2015

Blessings in Disguise

The other day I asked a lady on the lift why she is staying at Ronald McDonald (Ronald McDonald is free accommodation for those who have children/young people in the Wellington Hospital).
She answered, “My youngest son who is 20yrs has cancer. He's having chemotherapy for 6 months.”
I was already feeling a little down at the time, but when she told me that, I nearly cried on the spot! While I ate dinner, I felt so sad for this family.
Putting my dishes in the dishwasher I noticed a little girl with a huge swollen hand. She obviously had something wrong with her.
Everywhere I look at the moment, there is suffering. Pain. Heartache. Tears. Worry.
I went to my room and burst into tears.
Why so much suffering?
Why does a 20yr old have to get cancer?
Then the thought came to me. Cancer could turn out to be a blessing to this family. If it turns them to God, it would be all worth it. It could mean their life is changed for good.
I was able to wipe my tears and pray for this family—that God would use this trial to bring them to God, or to bring them closer to Him if they already know Him.
Hard times are often blessings in disguise. God wouldn't allow them otherwise.

If we pray for God's blessing, God may have to bring hard times in order to answer those prayers.
If we pray to be Christlike, God will send difficulties that will teach us to be Christlike.
Instead of praying for God to take trials away, maybe we should pray that we will be changed for good through them.

My baby has had a lot of heel pricks while she has been in the Nicu. She doesn't like them. It's the main time I hear her cry.
I can imagine her thinking, “Mummy, this hurts! Why are you allowing this? Don't you love me? Make them stop!”
And my answer would be, “I hate to see you hurting, Lydia. But it's for your good. You need it.” I would then do my best to comfort her until it was over.
God allows trials because we need them. He doesn't like to see us hurting, but He gives us comfort during hard times.

It's easy to question God's love during difficulties, but sometimes it's because of God's love. Hard times wake us up to what's really important in life and help us to see our need for God. They force us to depend on Him. They give us much more love and understanding for others.


“It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn thy statutes.” Psalm 119:71


For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory; 2 Corinthians 4:17

No comments:

Post a Comment