19/05/2017

Pressure

I dislike pressure!
(I am not complaining in this post, just explaining the setting for the lesson I learned!)
This week was very busy. In the middle of the week, my little girl with Down Syndrome needed a heart checkup 11/2 hours away in a big city. We needed to leave early to get there on time. That morning my 3yr old woke up miserable with a fever. When we arrived at the hospital, the carpark was full and we ended up parking 15 minutes away. Joseph had to do a lot of walking when he wasn't feeling well. Somehow we still made it in time for our appointment. But I disliked the pressure of trying to get there in time.
The more I tried to simplify this week, the busier it got. 
So I decided that next week I would stay home as much as possible.
But now, it is already looking busy starting with a bloodtest up at the hospital at 8am on Monday morning! ... and another hospital appointment on Wednesday!
Having a special needs child has meant lots of appointments, which means lots of pressure.
In a few months we are going on a big trip to the other side of the world. More pressure and busyness!
Last night I sat down for some quiet time, thinking about the busyness at the moment and how I can't do much about it.
 I would much rather go out because I want to go out, rather than having to go and having to be there at a certain time. I like days when I can choose to make a pizza with the kids, sit and do puzzles, go for a walk, read books on the couch and there is no rushing to get out the door on time.
I opened a devotional book and read a poem.
Guess what it was about? Pressure!
Although I have read it before, it gave me a different perspective. Pressure doesn't have to be a bad thing after all. This pressure is good for me!

"Pressed out of measure and pressed to all length;
Pressed so intensely it seems, beyond strength;
Pressed in the body and pressed in the soul,
Pressed in the mind till the dark surges roll.
Pressure by foes, and a pressure from friends.
Pressure on pressure, till life nearly ends.

Pressed into knowing no helper but God;
Pressed into loving the staff and the rod.
Pressed into liberty where nothing clings;
Pressed into faith for impossible things.
Pressed into living a life in the Lord,
Pressed into living a Christ-life outpoured."


No comments:

Post a Comment