12/06/2018

Tips on Being Frugal

Well, I don't get around to blogging much lately, but I have kind of missed it. So I thought I'd write a post on one of my favourite practical topics--saving money! Looking back I have shared some of these tips before, but that was a long time ago!
I am a stay at home mum and we have four children, so I try to help my husband by being frugal where I can.
These are my tips.
1. Buy used when possible.
2. Buy on sale as much as possible.
3. Buy the cheapest brands of food--unless you really notice the difference!
4. When buying fruit and vegies, look for what is in season and the cheapest.
5. Make an effort to use up leftovers before they go bad.
6. Grow some food--every little bit helps!
7. Buy online.
   (This helps me save money, as I don't so easily impulse spend online. But it's not for everyone.)
8. Don't buy more fresh food than you can manage!
9. Buy whole chickens on special, cook, divide up meat and put in casseroles, chicken sauces with rice or pasta, pizza, soup, wraps etc or use on sandwiches. Make stock out of the carcass.
10. Cut males' hair at home with clippers.
11. Make a fried rice dinner with leftover rice, meat and vegetables. Make satay sauce for on top out of 4tblsp peanut butter, 1tblsp sweet chilli sauce, 1 tblsp sweet soy sauce and 3/4 cup of water. Mix together and heat in a pot until sauce. If you make a big batch of rice and freeze the leftovers, it makes easy fried rice!
12. Accept offers of food even if it means a bit of work--for example a box of vegetables that need freezing or canning. But within reason of course. 
13. Accept and appreciate hand me downs. I read once that if you are given something and you write a thankyou note or show some appreciation, you are often given more. I have found that to be true! A few times we have been given the odd dress or skirt etc. and I've shown some appreciation and the person has said, 'Would you want more? We need to get rid of them!' I hardly have to buy my children any clothes and we get given so much we have to give some away! Although it sometimes nice to go shopping and pick out your own clothes for your children, using what we are given means I save a ton on clothes.
14. Ration treats or expensive foods.
  By that I mean don't buy too much in one go. Buy one this week and one the next week or whatever. Balance more expensive deserts/baking/meals with the cheaper ones.
15. Be a giver not a hoarder.
   When you make an effort to be frugal, you can easily become a hoarder without even realizing it! But we need to be a channel not a Dead Sea! But again, within reason!
16. Be thankful for what you have.
17. Have a budget and stick to it as much as possible.
   I have only just learned how to have a budget that works for me, and it is helpful.
18. Pray about your needs and be patient.
19. Live simply.
20. Tithe.
21. Only buy from your list, unless it's something you definitely need. Otherwise wait and think on it first.
22. Learn to be less cluttered and more minimal--it will make you think twice before bringing more stuff into your house.
23. Stay out shops as much as possible--don't shop for entertainment! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment