24/07/2018

Showing Love

A few days ago, my four year old by said to me, "Mummy, do you think I love you?"
"Yes, I think so."
"You are going to find out if I love you!" He replied.
Sometime later I found a picture he had made lying by my bed. According to him that meant he loved me.
A day or two later, he asked me, "Do you love me?"
"Of course I do," I answered. I tell him often. How can he doubt?
"Then why haven't you given me a picture?"
I had to give him a picture so he didn't start to doubt my love! Since then, my husband and I keep finding pictures and little gifts in our bedroom from our children.
In his childish way, he has a point! Love is shown in our actions. It is a Biblical principle. "For God so loved the world that he gave..." John 3:16  "God commendeth (demonstrated, showed)  his love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8
My love language is words of affirmation, so words mean a lot to me. But words without actions are meaningless.
So how do we show love?
1. God
How do we show love to God?
Jesus said, "If you love me, keep my commandments."
Mary showed her love for Jesus by wanting to be with Him, sitting at His feet and listening to His words. She also showed her love by giving Him her expensive perfume.

2. Husband
How do we show love to our husband?
We can show love by giving him respect, letting him lead, listening to him, cooking for him, spending time with him, honoring his wishes, praying for him, speaking highly of him instead of critically and responding physically to him--to name a few.

3. Children
How do we show love to our children?
We can show love by spending time with them, praying for them, teaching, training and disciplining them, listening to them, letting them help us, doing fun things with them, protecting them, gifts, hugs and cuddles etc.

4. Others
How can we show love to others?
By giving practical help or gifts, listening, spending time, praying for them, talking, having them as guests in our home, sending kind messages, being there for them, etc.


Do your actions show your love? 



No comments:

Post a Comment