17/09/2018

Purple Hands, Dry Nappies and Vegetables

Do you ever thank God for trials?
Last week was a very stressful week. Twice Lydia had completely dry nappies when I changed her. Since she is still not very good at drinking, it scared me. I had to make a lot of effort to make sure she was drinking or eating lots of liquid food.
We also noticed on Sunday afternoon after her nap that her hands and feet were very purple. Since she was very warm, not cold, this concerned us. Also, since she has heart problems, we didn't know if this was a bad sign. It came right after rubbing them, but during the week it kept happening. Usually her hands and feet are red, and the more I kept an eye on them, the more purple they seemed to get! I didn't know if they were purple or just dark red and I was just imagining they were purple! It was starting to drive me crazy! I did take her to the doctor during this time, but it wasn't till the second doctor's visit on Friday afternoon, that I knew for sure that it was nothing to worry about. So we were very thankful that we could relax and that I didn't need to keep watching her hands and feet! I thanked God many times that everything was ok.
Then on Sunday I listened to a sermon which really challenged me. The pastor asked the question "Do you thank God as much for trials as for blessings?"
He said that most Christians are destroyed by their blessings and made by their trials. And that most spiritual growth happens during trials.
Hmmm. I usually thank God once it is all over! Sometimes when I have seen something good come out of a trial, I have thanked God for it. But it is not very often that I thank God for my trials.
As I thought back over my stressful week, I found it really hard to thank God for what had happened. I can't see the purpose to it.
To me it was just an unnecessary nuisance.
But then I thought about my children. At least two of them like very few vegetables--they are very fussy at dinnertimes. I try to teach them to be thankful even when it's something they don't like--which is most of the time! I expect them to be thankful because I have gone to the effort of cooking them a meal. And I expect them to be thankful because vegetables are good for them even though they don't like them. They can't only eat the food they like, because they would never choose those healthy foods.
I am like my children. Trials are a bit like those vegetables that I don't like. I would never choose them! But I need to thank God for everything that is on my plate even when I don't like it. He only gives me what is good for me! I don't have to see or understand what the purpose is. I can trust that He only puts/allows on my plate what is for my good. And even when it 'tastes' really bad, I can be thankful that He is working it together for my spiritual health. I will not only thank God for the things I like!



1 comment: