16/09/2018

Day by Day

"And the barrel of meal wasted not, neither did the cruse of oil fail, according to the word of the LORD, which he spake by Elijah."
1 Kings 17:16
In this story a poor widow woman was about to starve because of a drought, but God sent Elijah the prophet to her house. Elijah told her that if she gave him some of her last meal, her flour and oil would not run out until the drought ended. She believed him, shared her last meal, and God kept His promise and miraculously kept her small amount of food from running out for a very long time--until the drought was over.
I find it interesting that God provided for her this way. He just kept what she had from running out. Every day there was enough for one more day. He didn't give her a whole lot of money or fill her cupboards with food. Every day she had to trust again that there would be enough food. She had to live day by day--and God was always faithful.
Since I am a person who likes to be organized, sometimes I look too far ahead instead of living day by day dependent on God. I want to always be a few steps ahead. Then I wonder why I'm stressed and why God is not providing! (This applies to all different kinds of needs.) I want to see now how God will help me tomorrow and in the future, instead of leaving the future in God's hands. He doesn't give me grace for tomorrow when it is still today. God will give me grace for tomorrow when tomorrow comes. God will provide for tomorrow when tomorrow comes.
Of course I need to be sensible and plan ahead when necessary, but I need to be careful not to get too far ahead of myself. I need to live one day at a time, trusting God to provide for whatever needs I have as they come up. I need to remember all the yesterdays that God has provided for and have peace that He will provide for today and for all the tomorrows.
  1. Day by day, and with each passing moment,
    Strength I find, to meet my trials here;
    Trusting in my Father’s wise bestowment,
    I’ve no cause for worry or for fear.
    He Whose heart is kind beyond all measure
    Gives unto each day what He deems best—
    Lovingly, its part of pain and pleasure,
    Mingling toil with peace and rest.
  2.                                                  ~Karolina W. Sandell-Berg~




No comments:

Post a Comment