13/03/2019

Just Like Lily May

This morning at breakfast I read our children a story called Lily May's "Good Time." It was a character building story about a little girl who got sick of being told what to do by her mother. She thought she would enjoy life much more if she could do whatever she wanted. So her mother decided that for a whole day she could as she pleased. Lily May was delighted. But she discovered pretty quickly it was not quite as much fun as she had expected. When her mum tucked her in bed that night, Lily May gave her a hug and said, "I think it was good of God to give little girls mothers to take care of them, for they know so much more than children."
One of our children is like Lily May was. She does not like being told what to do or when to do it! So I thought it would be a good story for her.
Later on after our girls were at school, it dawned on me that I am also like Lily May! One of my biggest struggles since Lydia has been born has been all the appointments etc. I get told what to do and when to do it. I have been told at times that I need to stay in hospital with Lydia for another month or so. Or I've been sent appointment letters saying that I need to go to this appointment or I need to go to Wellington for a heart checkup for Lydia on this day at this time. You need to do this, you need to do that. And I think, 'I don't want to have to do this or have to go here. I want to choose! I want to go out because I want to go out, not because I have to!'
I am like Lily May! I want to choose what I do. I don't want to be told what to do. It was a little humbling to realize this!
But Lily May found out that when she could choose everything she would do, it was actually very unfulfilling and boring. She didn't like it at all after awhile.
Although I am an adult, I am still under authority. Somebody cares for me. I belong to God, and He is my heavenly Father. He is over me and He has the right to tell me what to do. He has the right to fill in my time and my days with what He wants me to do. He is taking care of me, and He knows what is best for me. He knows better than I do what I need, just like a mother knows better than her little children.
I can choose to fight it and be miserable, or I can be thankful that God knows what is best for me. I can choose to obey with a cheerful heart, because He doesn't put on my plate what is not good for me.
What about you? Do you also dislike having to do this or having to do that? I hope this story gives you a fresh perspective as it has for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment