05/02/2018

Martha, Martha

I am so often like Martha! I am so busy trying to keep up with everything that I forget what is most important.(You can read the story in Luke 10:38+)
Usually I am convicted when I read Jesus' words to Martha, but this time I was encouraged to read it.

Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:
But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.

I find it encouraging that Jesus gave Martha permission to not be stressed out about everything! God doesn't expect us to be like her. We don't have to be stressed out and snappy trying to keep on top of our homes and organising meals etc..
We have permission to slow down a bit and have time with God. We have permission to focus on what is really important.
Our home and meals are not the most important.

I am finding the more I simplify and clear out all the clutter in our home and life, the easier it is to be like Mary. The less I am attached to stuff (and other things like facebook, internet, etc.) the more I can be attached to God. The less time I spend tidying up unnecessary things, the more time I have to focus on what's important. The less clutter in my home, the more calm I am.
It's much easier to stay on top of things when there are not so many things to stay on top of!
God wants us to make Him our top priority like Mary did. It's a choice only we can make.


No comments:

Post a Comment